Monday, October 29, 2012

Who do you see...


...when you look in the mirror?

I believe that that is a question each & every Mrs. Pastor needs to ask (& answer) herself when the pressures of people's expectations come her way.

The fact of life is that no matter how hard you try, you can never be any body other than who God created you to be. Even if you try to act like another person, at best, you'll be a good actress not an authentic person.

It's a given that people will compare you to others & even say it to your face... 
So though we cannot control whether or not people compare us to others, we can control ourselves and ensure that we never compare ourselves to others.
The Bible has a word or 2 for those who do:

2 Cor 10:12 We don’t dare put ourselves in the same class with those who think they are so important. We don’t compare ourselves to them. They use themselves to measure themselves, and they judge themselves by what they themselves are. This shows that they know nothing. (Easy-to-Read Version)
 
I know that every once in a while, you may see or even listen to another person and wish you could be as articulate - I know because it has happened to me more than once. It's like looking into a mirror and hoping you "see" that person in some form or fashion.

I've been deliberate in reminding myself that I am very "YOUnique" and must never let anyone or anything take that from me - not even myself.

So how do we then deal with the pressures of people's expectations vs. the pleasure of being yourself? I like Lorna Dobson's suggestion (which is what I try to do daily): "More important than the lists of expectations, which are easily misunderstood, is that we live according to God's blueprint, the Bible, which is our guide for living, just as it is for every Christian. What people should see in our lives is that we are striving honestly to live out our faith."* So everytime you look in the mirror, I encourage you to see a woman saved by grace**, walking by faith*** to the glory of God**** irrespective of the applause of men - which is of no value in the sight of God.*****

References:
*Dobson, L (2003): I'm more than the Pastor's Wife, page 30 (italics, mine)
** Eph 2: 8-9 - For it is by free grace (God’s unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God; Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law’s demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.] (Amplified)
***2 Cor 5:7 - For we walk by faith [we regulate our lives and conduct ourselves by our conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, with trust and holy fervor; thus we walk] not by sight or appearance. (Amplified)
 ****Gal 1:10 - Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant. (NLT)
*****John 5:41 - “Your approval means nothing to me..." (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment