Monday, February 3, 2014

"Mine!"

Late last year, I was listening to Pastor Robert Morris...I don't remember the topic but he was talking about tithes* and said:
One of the first words children learn to pronounce well is "Mine!"
He went on to say that as adults we still use that word emphatically when encouraged to give to God forgetting that everything** we have belongs to God. In fact, God said exactly the same thing concerning tithes***
- "Mine!"

It's interesting to watch the "Mine" mindset in church - among Christians - and sometimes so infuriating that you'd want to tell people off. As I pondered on it, the Holy Spirit softly said to me:
"Much as you desire that people give for their own benefit/blessing, don't look at the offerings or concern yourself with who's giving what - Jesus is watching**** who gives and how they give. Keep your eyes on Jesus."
That was a loud warning for me - so I decided to share it. Personally, I believe that the best way we can encourage others to give - and give generously - is to do likewise. Exemplary living is the most effective way of teaching...Peter said:
Don’t shepherd by ruling over those entrusted to your care, but
become examples to the flock. (1 Pet 5:3 - CEB, emphasis mine)

St Francis of Assisi put it well too:
"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words."

So this year, I encourage us to remember that only God has the right to say: "Mine!" about all we have, give or keep. Be/remain an example of giving generously to the Lord - who owns everything anyway:
1 Chron 29:14b - Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us! (NLT)
So give and live in the Overflow...

References:
*Listen to this other message by Robert Morris: http://leadthechurch.com/2012/05/24/remember-8-robert-morris-on-tithing-the-bible-and-blessing/ Takeaway: "Give me the first and the rest will be blest."
** Psalm 50: 9-12 - I will accept no bull from your house nor he-goat out of your folds. 10 For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills or upon the mountains where thousands are. 11 I know and am acquainted with all the birds of the mountains, and the wild animals of the field are Mine and are with Me, in My mind. 12 If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are Mine. (Amplified)
 
1 Chronicles 29:14 - 14 “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. (NIV)
1 Corinthians 4:7b - What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift? (NLT)
 
*** Mal 3: 8 -12 - “Should [or Can] a person rob God? But you are robbing me. “You ask, ‘How have we robbed you?’ “You have robbed me in your offerings and the tenth of your crops [tithes]. So a curse is on you, because the whole nation has robbed me. 10 Bring to the storehouse a full tenth of what you earn [tithe] so there will be food in my house [the temple; Deut. 14:22–28]. Test me in this,” says the Lord All-Powerful [Almighty; of Heaven’s Armies; of hosts]. “I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need. 11 I will stop the insects [pests; or plague; the devourer] so they won’t eat [destroy] your crops. The grapes won’t fall from your vines before they are ready to pick [or fail to produce a crop],” says the Lord All-Powerful [Almighty; of Heaven’s Armies; of hosts]. 12 “All the nations will call you blessed, because you will have a pleasant country [delightful land],” says the Lord All-Powerful [Almighty; of Heaven’s Armies; of hosts]. (Expanded Bible)
 
**** Mark 12: 41 - 44 - 41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment