Monday, November 2, 2015

Don't "band aid" it...

When I listened to Esther 4:4 recently, I was reminded about how easily we try to 'band-aid' situations - mostly because it's more convenient to do that. Let's read the verse first then I'll share a few examples and my thoughts.

When Queen Esther’s maids and eunuchs came and told her about Mordecai, she was deeply distressed. She sent clothing to him to replace the burlap, but he refused it. (Esther 4:4 NLT)

The "I can fix this easily" trait in Queen Esther, which exists in most, if not, every woman - Christians, First Ladies and Mrs Pastors included, sprung into action. She was informed about an unpleasant situation and she sent a "Band-Aid" solution - a change of clothes.

As I meditated on the verse, I felt the Holy Spirit ask me to consider how often I come up with quick fixes or even yet try to wish things away rather than deal them headlong.

3 examples came to mind:

  1. Someone tells you that they are having Relationship (Marital, Parenting etc.) issues and we say "Why don't you pray about it?" before we even know what the "real" issue is. Now praying may be (part or all of) the solution but there may be underlying issues or attitudes that need to be dealt with.
  2. You hear or know someone who is un/under-employed... Of course, prayers are key to opening doors but is it possible that the individual has "shut" doors by not shutting up when at work or shutting in their experiences such that they don't properly position themselves in their CV/Resume.
  3. You may have noticed or be aware of someone's health issues. For those, it's almost automatic to prescribe the "Prayer Pill" on the basis of various verses.* However, when you look deeply at some of those verses e.g. Exodus 23:25-26**, you'll see that our food and drink are also determinants of our health because we are what we eat.
Just a note of caution, I'm not saying you can or should solve every issue that comes to your attention but I ask that we don't band-aid them because they could fester and get worse. Prayerfully, listen and you may be able at least (re)direct the person to a solution which may or may not include your involvement. It was only after Queen Esther took the time to hear the full situation that she could come up a plan - which by the way included lots of prayer. Remember, you can't solve every issue but don't (inadvertently) worsen the situation - don't "band-aid" it.



Sources:
* Psalm 107:20 ~ He sent His word and healed them, And rescued them from their destruction. (AMP)

Jeremiah 33:6 ~ “‘But then I will bring health [recovery] and healing to the people there. I will heal them and ·let them enjoy [reveal to them] great [an abundance of] peace and safety [security]. (EXB)

** Exodus 23:25-26 ~ If you worship the Lord your God, I [he] will bless your bread and your water. I will take away sickness from you. None of your women will miscarry or be unable to have children [barren]. I will allow you to live long lives [fill the number of your days]. (EXB)





No comments:

Post a Comment