Monday, December 28, 2015

Learning from Mrs. P

Just in case you didn't catch it, I'm sharing a learning from "Mrs. P" not from a Mrs. Pastor. So this is one lesson that is applicable to all wives - Mrs. Pastor or not. Mrs. P's influence and impact is amazing considering that she has only one verse of Scripture to her name. Let’s read it together:

While court was still in session, Pilate’s wife sent him a message: “Don’t get mixed up in judging this noble man. I’ve just been through a long and troubled night because of a dream about him.” http://bible.com/97/mat.27.19.MSG
A few verses later, we see her husband trying to get out of the situation and finally physically washing his hands off the case. Each time I read this verse I wonder how many wives boldly speak up to "save" their husbands from situations - and on the flip side, how many husbands listen to their wives. It's possible for such "interventions" to be embarrassing but I believe that if you both recognize that you're there to watch each other's back, it's easier to do as Mrs. P did.
Research has shown that women are very intuitive. Gisele Bunchen has some advice for us:
The more you trust your intuition, the more empowered you become,
the stronger you become, and the happier you become. 

So imagine how much more endowed we are when we have the Holy Spirit active in us. I remember having to intervene at a meeting. As I listened to all that was being said and asked I felt the strong need to step in. So I raised my hand to ask a Leading question. Guess what my husband said when he saw my hand? "Ask me at home." In response - considering that all my 'eye-signals' seem to have fallen on deaf ears (paradox or whatever that is intended) - I just had to blurt as respectfully as I could, "Then don’t answer the question yet." Only after that was I allowed to speak - and then all of us in that meeting jointly got to an agreeable solution.

I personally suspect that my husband's initial response was his attempt at protectively keeping me out of the conversation so he "owns" the decision and if there's any blame arising from it, I'd be excluded. However it was imperative to me that I do my part to support him so that there is little "blame" if any and also to amplify and ensure all the "voices" in the room were heard.

I know it's not any easy place to put ourselves but when you remember that a number of wives (Mrs. Pastors included) get "blamed" rightly or wrongly for their husbands' decisions some of which we may not (ever) be privy to. So it's in our best interest to learn from Mrs. P and intervene respectfully, especially when led by the Holy Spirit to do so. I pray that all our interventions result in positive influence and impact...AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment