Monday, January 11, 2016

Be human

Before we go to far, let me point out that the title is: "Be human" not "Be fleshy." I need to point that out because I know there are times when I see a word and layer an alternate meaning on it sometimes based on the fact that I've seen/heard people use the words interchangeably or even done that myself.


For instance, if someone says "Enjoy the world, have a good time - it's a blessing from God," some of us will be disgusted and even disappointed that a Christian would say that since we sometimes use the word "world" and "sin" interchangeably - so does the Bible.*

However, when you consider that you can only live the abundant life God promised in this world, since it's eternal life in the world to come, you will agree that "Enjoy the world, have a good time - it's a blessing from God," is good and wise advice; it's even Scriptural:
After looking at the way things are on this earth, here’s what I’ve decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that’s about it. That’s the human lot. Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what’s given and delighting in the work. It’s God’s gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It’s useless to brood over how long we might live. (Ecc 5:18-20 MSG)
Let me reel myself back in to the topic. Do you realize that the only way you can live, survive and thrive in life is as a human? I mean, you're not SUPERHuman so "Human" is your only option - starting to get my starting point now? (Pun intended) Ok let's continue...
 
In being human, we must not deny our emotions - mood swings and all - because if/when we do, we live a lie and cannot thrive lying to ourselves. Emotions are an integral and essential part of our lives. At a recent Pastors' Wives' Conference a lot of great tips were unearthed about how we can be "human" spiritual beings. I'll share a few for your benefit:
 
Pastor Geri Scazzero** told us that:
"When you keep pushing down your real feelings, it becomes a depression."
Putting it in my own words,
Depression is the outcome of suppressing your feelings
and that's nothing more than self-oppression.
Going on, she added that:
  • We cannot be spiritually mature when we are emotionally immature
  • Unprocessed emotions don't die, they just get buried alive
  • Most physical illnesses have their roots in emotions.
  • If you don't unpack your emotions, how would you know what to do with them?
  • Scripture is full of people who were aware of their emotions and expressed them
  • One reason we live inhuman lives is because we believe in inhuman things. It is human to feel.
So if you ask me, not being "Human" is inhumane - not just to yourself but to others.
 
Before and during the Conference, I took time to think about my Emotional Health because I've caught myself suppressing my emotions thinking it was a sign of strength. Over the years I've learned that there's a sharp difference between a "Strong" Woman and a "Strung-up" Woman. When you suppress your emotions, you're "Strung-up" in other words, tied up and trapped - and trapped people can't help others. Try it - tie your hands and try helping others....you can't.
 
As Christians and Mrs Pastors, God wants us to be "Strong" women who know that it's in our weakness that His strength**** fills then flows through us. I'm not saying you should "crack" under every pressure but stop "putting up a face" - be Human. Jesus, the Son of God & our example wept* at His friend's tomb and it was obvious to those around. And we know that He didn't weep at every other encounter with a dead person. Jesus (aka Son of Man) was human***** so he understands us and that's why we are able to relate to Him. Learn of Him.
 
References:
* 1 John 2:15-17 (NIV) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. http://bible.com/111/1jn.2.15-17.NIV
** http://www.emotionallyhealthy.org/
*** John11:35 - 36 - 35 Then Jesus wept. 36 The people who were standing nearby said, “See how much he loved him!” (NLT)
**** 2 Cor 12:9 - but He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you [My lovingkindness and My mercy are more than enough - always available - regardless of the situation]; for [My] power is being perfected [and is completed and shows itself most effectively] in [your] weakness.” Therefore, I will all the more gladly boast in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ [may completely enfold me and] may dwell in me. (AMP)
***** Hebrews 4:15
-We have a high priest who can feel it when we are weak and hurting. We have a high priest who has been tempted in every way, just as we are. But he did not sin. (NIRV)
- For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to sympathize and understand our weaknesses and temptations, but One who has been tempted [knowing exactly how it feels to be human] in every respect as we are, yet without [committing any] sin. (AMP, underline mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment