Monday, September 12, 2016

Forget the script...

...follow the Spirit.

A few months ago, I had an experience that I've had more than once but this particular one stuck as a basis for sharing this...I'm sure I'm not the only one it's happened to either.

As you know the Bible tells us to "Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth."* 

So of course besides studying the Bible for my personal growth, I study & prepare every time I am assigned the task of sharing the Word. In fact, I think I over-prepare because of how "scared" I am each time...always asking God for His help so I get through it...and He does.

Well on this particular day, I started off on my "script" and before long, I was very off-script. One of the passages we read based on the topic took us all into a totally different direction. When I noticed what had happened, I had to inform everyone that this part wasn't in my script - it was obvious too. So I quickly added that I'd rather follow the Spirit down the path He was taking us because that was obviously what God wanted us - especially our children - to hear. In fact, that Service was really for them so they would know God's stand on a frightening trend...and so they would also understand and know what the basis of their stand is.

I was so happy as I went home that day - knowing that I had done exactly what God wanted. Now I cannot say that I've always been such a "good girl." Years ago, there were times when I felt that I needed to stick to the "script" and more than once left feeling unfulfilled. That experience is what I use to remind people that God is more interested in us following the leading of the Holy Spirit versus reading off the script. Romans 8:14 tells us why:
"For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." (AMP)

The other way to look at it is no matter how prepared your horses are for battle** or in this case, your script is prepared for preaching/teaching, impartation and impact is only by the Spirit not by the script. Now I'm not saying that you should show up unprepared - far from it. Prepare but be prepared to forget the script and follow the Spirit.


Sources:
* 2 Timothy 2:15 - AMPC
** Proverbs 21:31 - You can get the horses ready for the day of battle, but it is the Lord who gives the victory [Ps. 33:16–17]. (EXB)

No comments:

Post a Comment