Thursday, December 31, 2020

"Here's my resignation."

On this last day of this unprecedented year, I felt the need to share a thought that crossed my mind...and I can only imagine the shock some of you felt when you read the title of this post.

In the secular system, if a person can no longer cope with the working conditions and/or meet the expectations in their place of employment, they usually resign so they can move on to a place where they feel they fit in better and will hopefully be more valuable and valued.

Having interacted with various Pastors' wives over the years, I can only imagine how strained, drained and pained some are. And when I think about how "interesting" this year was in different ways, so I won't be surprised if some want to resign (from the role of "Pastor's wife"). However, as the Pastor's wife, we cannot since we cannot resign from our husband and family - that's a No-No.

Pondering on this, I couldn't help but wonder how many of the unmet expectations are self-imposed. And also how many we (Pastors' wives) unknowingly impose on other Pastors' wives - because of our expectations of ourselves. I must confess, now and again, I have caught myself thinking: "She shouldn't do that, doesn't she know she's a Pastor's wife?" And now I've taught (and continue to remind) myself to let each Pastor's wife conduct herself as led by the Lord - not as led by me.

I pray we each take the time to support each other so that no Pastor's wife ever feels like "resigning". Let one of your new year resolutions be to be kind to yourself and to others and not impose unnecessary expectations on each other. "Kindness comes with mindfulness."*


Happy New Year!!!

Source:
*101 Quips and Quotes (in a subsequent book)

No comments:

Post a Comment