Monday, October 24, 2011

Soaked sponge?

Sponges are very useful and handy...you can use them in practically every part of the home - oh yes, I'm sure you know that already.

Well, one day in church, everyone was asked what they learned from a previous message. Too many times we come to church, listen and go home...with no check-up. Some people spoke up - there were some theoretical "the bible says" type responses and some "what I gained" experiential ones and the difference was clear.

Later on, I was saying to my husband is good to give people an opportunity to speak up and share what they learn in church, smaller groups or even any other form of spiritual (Christian), secular or social interaction.

Robert M. Hensel said: “The mind is like a sponge, soaking up endless drops of knowledge.” This is one more reason why I believe that all Christians must deliberately aspire to be a particular type of sponge...

A lot of times (not always), we need the sponges to come in contact with some form of fluid esp water in order to be used effectively. Another thing about sponges is good ones soak easily – taking in the content and keeping it in them. Did you know that if you leave a sponge soaked for too long it has a high likelihood of smelling not to mention being a refuge and launching pad for bacteria? Not nice...

Well, that’s also how it is, or at least should be, with us.
A short story before I go on...

From time to time, my husband & I discuss past or even future blog posts. One of those times I said to him, “blogging is hard work.” He didn’t quite agree with me – even though he knows that I maintain 3 blogs. Not sure why he didn’t agree but the Holy Spirit put it differently – and in perspective for me. He whispered something along these lines: “I need to squeeze you so you are available for a fresh dose of the water of the Word.” So empty yourself to be refilled... 

Obviously all the time I was pointing at everyone else, my other four fingers were pointing at me. It all makes sense and even explains why sometimes I blog as if it’s a full-time job...I guess it is – since ministry is wherever you are. I like the way Janet Flanner put it: “I act as a sponge. I soak it up and squeeze it out in ink every two weeks.” Difference: I squeeze it out as led...

On the other hand, some of us have had the privilege of being raised in Christian homes and/or making that life-changing decision to become born-again. We enjoy the company of like-minded Christians and the various Christian material – the foundational one being the Bible. We just take in as much as we can...any and everywhere we go...and keep soaking it in. Unfortunately, we never squeeze ourselves so we become smelly/stale – really stuffed with the Word but with no positive results to show for it.

You don’t know what you know until you’re tested...before then it’s just theory. I’m sure that is why God allows us to be squeezed in the place of trials so we can see what we’re really made of.

So, whenever you have the opportunity to share what you learned in church or elsewhere, please do. I’ve found that sharing with others helps reinforce what I received and even gives me the opportunity to get a different perspective... sometimes the same Word impacts other people in different/interesting ways. 

The second lesson for me (& us) is to deliberately give others an opportunity to share what they have learned and/or how they have used the Word.

Be a soaked sponge that regularly squeezes
...just be careful to be soaked in the water of the Word not the water of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment