Monday, January 30, 2012

"What do you do in church?"

Sometime ago, someone asked me that question. For a moment I wondered what the best answer to such a question would be. I mean when you don't know that I am Mrs. Pastor and you ask me: "What do you do in church?"
what is the right answer? Or shall I say: "What's the best answer?"
Here are some of the options that crossed my mind:
  • "Not much beyond being Mrs. Pastor - so I'm responsible for Pastor (and almost all he does)."
  • "Much more than I can recount (or you'd like to know) including being Mrs. Pastor."
  • "I am everyone's back-up including my husband's - at times."

Well, I decided that the best answer was to clearly state what I actually do -   
not who I am. I mean being "Mrs. Pastor" is not a duty although it feels like that sometimes. As I said in my posting 2 weeks ago*, while there is an "Office of the Pastor," there is no "Office of Mrs. Pastor." Now that is one "office" I'm eternally grateful doesn't exist and besides it's not even scriptural**.

Can you just imagine what it would be like to be Mrs. Pastor and then be "employed" as Mrs. Pastor? I can't and I'd say "No thank you" if that offer ever came.

Now, so I'm not misunderstood, this is not to say I don't like "doing" things in church or working in the church office - I love it and would love to. It's just that doing it "title-less" helps - get my drift? I know some other ("established") Mrs. Pastors may not agree with me - so let's say it's my personal preference.

It's also great to have people come up to offer to help you in church... so as Mrs. Pastor, one thing we can all do in church is encourage others to step up to the plate by asking them:
"What would you like to do for our church?"

As you start thinking about some people you may want to ask that question, let me ask you the very same question I was asked which was were we started: "Mrs. Pastor, what do you do in church?"

When all is said & done, I hope more is done than said & we are good examples of service unto God...who add value to others' lives in more ways than one***.

References:
*http://mrs-pastor-and-pastor-mrs.blogspot.com/2012/01/except-you-areyoure-not.html
**Eph 4:11 "And His gifts were [varied; He Himself appointed and gave men to us] some to be apostles (special messengers), some prophets (inspired preachers and expounders), some evangelists (preachers of the Gospel, traveling missionaries), some pastors (shepherds of His flock) and teachers." (Amplified)
***Eph 4:12 " for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ," (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment