Monday, August 6, 2012

XYZ

In more recent times I've been talking to myself saying: "eXamine Your Zeal" -
I believe that is a common "bottom line" for us as Mrs. Pastors. For me, it's a simple question: "Why do I do what I do?" or "Why do I go to church at all?"
Put differently, "If I was not Mrs. Pastor, would my service to (& for) God or even my "regular" (almost mandatory) attendance in services be different?"

I believe that our sincere answers to these questions will truly benefit each of us, our husbands, families and the body of Christ at large....let's dig in...

X - The Bible advises us to examine* ourselves and warns that those who think (not "those who know" - we can't be sure) that they stand should take heed.***

Y - You need to examine and even judge "Yourself"*** not another. There is absolutely NO value in comparing yourself as an individual or even as Mrs. Pastor to another person. Who made that person your standard? Our only standard is, and must remain the word of God not the work of men (or women).

Z - I always thought that Jesus quoted the scripture that says "The zeal of your house has consumed me."^ I was pleasantly surprised and then challenged that it was what He did that brought that scripture to His disciples memory. Are you able to say the same thing? In fact more importantly, are people able to say that about you? What do you do & say that demonstrates that to others? Paul said to the Galatians: "It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you." (Gal 4:18 - NIV) In our "demonstration" of zeal, is it for men's approval or out of eye-service or is it actually I-serve-Thee?
Re-reading the passage in John 2, I asked myself, how willing am I to challenge and even "upset" status quo in order to have God's will and way entrenched?

I know we sometimes get discouraged - and even wonder if all we do is worth it. Well, as one Mrs. Pastor to another, I've come to tell you that it is all worth it. Romans 12:11 encourages us to: "Never lag in zeal and in earnest endeavor; be aglow and burning with the Spirit, serving the Lord." (Amplified) I particularly like the word "aglow" because it reminds me that I need to be a light - that illuminates wherever I am and radiates God's glory at all times - whereever I go.
In short:
"Go & Glow!"



 



Another piece of advice: "Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.  (Prov 23:17-18) This aligns perfectly with Jer 29:11-12.# Our future is bright and will be fulfilled once we live in the fear of God everytime.

Just remember to XYZ - from time to time and "Go & Glow" all the time.

References:
* 2 Cor 13:5 - Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Test and prove yourselves [[a]not Christ]. Do you not yourselves realize and know [thoroughly by an ever-increasing experience] that Jesus Christ is in you—unless you are [counterfeits] disapproved on trial and rejected? (Amplified)

** 1 Cor 10:12 - Therefore let anyone who thinks he stands [who feels sure that he has a steadfast mind and is standing firm], take heed lest he fall [into sin]. (Amp)

*** Gal 6:4 - But let every person carefully scrutinize and examine and test his own conduct and his own work. He can then have the personal satisfaction and joy of doing something commendable [in itself alone] without [resorting to] boastful comparison with his neighbor. (Amplified)

^ John 2:13 - 17 - Now the Passover of the Jews was approaching, so Jesus went up to Jerusalem. There He found in the temple [enclosure] those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers sitting there [also at their stands]. And having made a lash (a whip) of cords, He drove them all out of the temple [enclosure]—both the sheep and the oxen—spilling and scattering the brokers’ money and upsetting and tossing around their trays (their stands). Then to those who sold the doves He said, Take these things away (out of here)! Make not My Father’s house a house of merchandise (a marketplace, a sales shop)!  And His disciples remembered that it is written [in the Holy Scriptures], Zeal (the fervor of love) for Your house will eat Me up. [I will be consumed with jealousy for the honor of Your house.]  (Amplified)

# Jer 29:11 -  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment