Monday, August 27, 2012

Lessons from Mrs Zebedee...

Have you ever heard the saying: "Aim high at least you'll land somewhere?"

Les Brown puts it this way:

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
I know the  first time or thereabouts I read about Mrs Zebedee - I couldn't help but wonder "Who does she think she is? What's so special about her children?"

Let's read the passage together:
Matt 20: 20 - 21 - Then the mother of Zebedee’s children came up to Him with her sons and, kneeling, worshiped Him and asked a favor of Him. And He asked her, What do you wish? She answered Him, Give orders that these two sons of mine may sit, one at Your right hand and one at Your left in Your kingdom.*

We know the rest of the story however, it is interesting that when Jesus went to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray, He took Peter, James and John with Him.** I remember listening to someone who pointed to this passage as an example of the lofty aspirations parents (should) have for their children? As I read the passage again, I couldn't help but ask myself what I desire for and even declare over my children. Without a shadow of doubt, God has a unique course and destiny for each child/person - all He expects from us is to guide, support and even help them (i.e. physical and spiritual children that is) along their journey...

Although, "Mothers' Day" was celebrated in March & May, "Fathers' Day" was in June and "Parents' Day" was celebrated last month in the US, I decided to share this a month later because parenting is a daily part of our lives. I was touched by Mrs Zebedee's request because I believe that some of us in ministry erroneously expect that our child(ren) will also be in ministry - rather than find out from God what His unique plan for their life is. I remember laughing a few years ago when one of my children (who was less than 8 years old at the time) was talking about buying our home and inheriting the church. After laughing, I took time to explain to him that that's not how it works. I know some churches are set up like dynasties and that's a different story - for all we know, that is the plan God gave them... We each need to get our own blueprint from God...so we can make the vision plain^ and even check progress towards the goal set by God. Moreover, it helps to know and speak the Word over our child(ren) which is the light^^ and compass^^^ directing us all in the will & way of the Lord.

I learnt 2 lessons from Mrs. Zebedee:
  1. Be honest and tell the Lord what you desire (for your children)
  2. Accept His plan and purpose for you and your children. You'll notice she didn't argue with Jesus when He responded to her request.
May the Lord endue us with grace to walk in His way and lead our children accordingly...

References:
*Amplified
**See Matt 26: 35-37

^ Hab 2:2-3 - Then the Lord told me: “I will give you my message in the form of a vision. Write it clearly enough to be read at a glance. At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting - it will happen! (Contemporary English Version)
^^Ps 119: 105 - Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.(NLT)
^^^Is 30:21 - Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left. (NLT)
Ps 32:8 - The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment