Monday, December 10, 2012

We are not excluded...

...from the troubles of life.
You cannot but agree when you remember that the Author of our Faith said:
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
  In this world you will have trouble.
But take heart! I have overcome the world.”*
God reminded me of this truth this year. I have heard, quoted and even written about Nick Vujicic** - the first born of a family who was born without limbs. So you can imagine my utter surprise when I read his profile*** and discovered that his father is a pastor...which means his mother is a Mrs. Pastor... Wow!!!
That discovery took me down a path of self-enquiry. It's so easy to share words of comfort and encouragement with others when they are going through the challenges of life - a totally different thing when we find ourselves right in it.

I'm led to share a very personal experience - to help us understand. Early this year, I got quite the startle of my life - my father passed on. Exactly a month later, I lost my aunt - who would ever have believed that the last time I saw her (at my dad's funeral) was the last time I'd ever see her? Well it was...hmmm. While still reeling in shock, my dear friend - a fellow Mrs. Pastor - who came to my dad's funeral lost her dad the weekend my aunt was buried - I wrote about that.**** By this time, as you can imagine, I was literally spinning emotionally and almost sinking into depression. I kept speaking the word of God over myself though that didn't keep me from sometimes wishing I was just having a long bad dream. Well, I wasn't and I had to take one day at a time - crying some nights. Did I mention that all this happened before the end of June? Oh yes!

Now let's not forget that in this time God was blessing us as a family and church - many accomplishments: new babies, cars, engagements, graduations, homes, jobs and so on. Of course, I rejoiced heartily with them and yet from time to time shuddered at how my year had started...and been. Little did I know that there was more to come. Well, in this last quarter, I lost another aunt - one I had been planning to call - on the day that marked a milestone in my life. I almost fell into the "why me?" pity-pit. The Holy Spirit pulled me out & I felt His warm embrace. He reminded me that they all lived long & saw their granchildren - as promised:

Psalm 91:16a - I will satisfy you with a long life. (God's Word Translation)

Psalm 128: 6a - May you live to see your grandchildren! (Good News Translation)

He also reiterated these promises extend to me, my family, friends and you too. 

I look back at this year and can say it has been one of my most difficult - and one in which I've depended on God so much more. It has not been easy but definitely eased by God and His word. I cannot imagine how I would have come this far in this year without Him on & by my side. He has reminded me that we need to really live what we believe...it's more than saying the words to others.

No matter how much things may try to take you down always look up. Indeed, we're not excluded from "sad" experiences however, like David did,**** we can draw always strength from God and move on and even move up.
God bless.

References:
*John 16:33 - NIV
**http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2010/08/you-are-gift.html
***http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/about-nick/
****http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2012/06/first-time.html
*****1 Sam 30:6 - David strengthened himself with trust in his God. (The Message) 

No comments:

Post a Comment