Monday, January 21, 2013

Put yourself in their shoes...

During church services or outings, we're always putting our children in check - actually sometimes (or most times) we stretch them. We're always telling them (or ourselves): "Others are watching you - so you must be a good example."

Last month, immediately after dishing out some "best behaviour commands" (BBC), I heard the Holy Spirit say: "Put yourself in their shoes." I'm sure you can appreciate that that nudge gave me quite a jolt...then I thought about it.

I know that a lot has been said about "PKs"* as they are referred to and that day I couldn't help but say that "PK" can stand for "Pressured Kids" too. When you take the time to think about it, our children had no choice in the home they were born into.

You and I know the challenges we already face in our desire to live authentically and then in the same stride we inadvertently want our children to be "picture-perfect." Personally, I believe this is one of the reasons why some PKs have gone off course. I am not saying that we should condone misbehaviour in any form or fashion - of course not. Every Christian is expected to train their children in the way to go - however, the Bible warns us:
"Parents, do not treat your children in such a way as to make them angry. Instead, raise them with Christian discipline & instruction."** 
"Parents, don’t come down too hard on your children 
or you’ll crush their spirits."***
 
As we seek space to thrive as Mrs. Pastor, we should tenderly consider our children - and be careful on the "burdens" we place on their shoulders. I keep reminding myself to give my children space to be children - without a label - within boundaries of course. We need to help them realize the boundaries are for their benefit - boundaries to give God glory, not to live by with man's mandate.

Put yourself in their shoes and help them enjoy, not endure, Ministry Family life.

Sources:
* Pastor's Kid(s)
** Eph 6:4 - Good News Translation
*** Col 3:21 - The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment