Monday, January 7, 2013

Trust?



Who? How? Why?

Recently, I listened to Bishop David Oyedepo's message on "Church growth." One of the many things he said that struck me was:
"God has trusted us,
so we must be able to trust others."

It was interesting to hear this statement because just the night before I listened to this message, I was talking to another Mrs. Pastor and we were sharing about how some church members want and wait to be prodded to do what they should or see what needs to be done - and then want to be applauded for it too. She was sharing how people tell her that she does all the things she does because she's Mrs. Pastor and her response usually is: "I do what I do because I'm a Christian" - period.

Indeed, if we all did "the work of Him who sent us - to be a light in the world,"* there will definitely be more going and growing. These days there is so much talk and unfortunately when all is said and done, there is more said than done. Infact, in some really bad cases, all is said and none is done. Let me reel myself back in before I change the topic.

So Bishop Oyedepo was stressing - and rightly so - that Pastor (& his Mrs - my addition) cannot do everything and hence need to trust others to help them. I don't know about you, but I believe that trust needs to be "earned." In fact, I used to believe that it takes years to build trust. However, like Ernest Hemingway said:
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." 

Did you just say "Huh?" - you're not alone; that was also my response the first time I read that quote? Yes I partially agree with you that it could be a risk...to trust others. However, let's look at this differently: when you look at yourself (and your husband) would you agree that God "took a risk" in trusting you with His work? Well I know He did in our case considering that we're not the "cream of the crop"** by worldly standards. God chose us to make a point that He can do all things through those who are submitted to His Will, His Word and His Way. 

So truly, if He could trust us you don't need to have a Strategic Risk Management session before you trust others. I'm not saying that you should start assigning or delegating all the tasks to everyone else - what I am saying is that you need to give others the opportunity to serve God.
Yes - I know, they may not do it "your way" - who said your way is the best or even only way? Let's learn to trust others and develop the Cycle of Trust. When we give people the opportunity and room to help, they feel valued and they then add value and the work gets done faster and better.

As we start this new year, I encourage us to purpose to trust others and see God work in and through them. God equipped our bodies with shoulders to support our head - ask Him to show you the "shoulders" around you and in your church.
References:
*A combination of:
John 4:34 - Jesus said to them, My food (nourishment) is to do the will (pleasure) of Him Who sent Me and to accomplish and completely finish His work. (Amplified)
John 9:4 - We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. (The Message)
Matt 5:16 - In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven. (Easy-to-Read Version) 
**1 Cor 1:27 - Take a good look, friends, at who you were when you got called into this life. I don’t see many of “the brightest and the best” among you, not many influential, not many from high-society families. Isn’t it obvious that God deliberately chose men and women that the culture overlooks and exploits and abuses, chose these “nobodies” to expose the hollow pretensions of the “somebodies”? That makes it quite clear that none of you can get by with blowing your own horn before God. Everything that we have - right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start - comes from God by way of Jesus Christ. That’s why we have the saying, “If you’re going to blow a horn, blow a trumpet for God.” (The Message - emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment