Monday, April 15, 2013

Few...and feeble

Some time after I became Mrs. Pastor, Jesus' words in Luke 10: 2 became so clear and real to me...
He said to them, “There is such a big harvest of people to bring in. But there are only a few workers to help harvest them. God owns the harvest. Ask him to send more workers to help bring in his harvest.* 
With all sense of respect, I've come to realize that not only are the labourers few - some of us are really feeble too. As you read this you may wonder how I know: well the answer is simple, really simple - I find that there are times when I'm feeble and just tremble at the enormity of the work. I'm not saying it's the same for you but I can assure you that I won't be surprised if it's the same for you.

This is "good news" because the reason God chose us in the first place is to put the strong to shame.** To make sure we clearly understand that He says:
“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.”***
As we see Him at work in and through us, we can respond like Paul and also say: 
"So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."***
Knowing this about ourselves, or should I say "about myself," we should obey Jesus and pray for more labourers even if they are feeble and then do our part to "Strengthen the weak hands and make firm the feeble and tottering knees"****

It's a privilege to be one of the few: "Many are called but few are chosen."*****
While I don't really "enjoy" being feeble, the benefit of being feeble is that: "I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency]."*

We have an example of  "the few" in Judges 7 - let's read verses 2, 4 & 7******:
And the Lord said to Gideon, “The people who are with you are too many for Me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel claim glory for itself against Me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.’
Then the Lord said to Gideon, “There are still too many men. Take the men down to the water, and I will test [sort; sift out] them for you there. If I say, ‘This man will go with you,’ he will go. But if I say, ‘That one will not go with you,’ he will not go.”
The Lord said to Gideon, “I will rescue you and give you victory over the Midianites with the three hundred men who lapped the water. Tell everyone else to go home.”
Don't get too stressed when asking God to increase "the few" around you. Rather, be sensitive and ask Him for only the right "few" so that victory in His work is assured for us and He retains the glory. "Few and feeble" is always better than "few and famous" because all the glory must be given to the Lord always.

References:
*Easy-to-Read Version
**1 Cor 1: 27- [No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame. (Amplified - italics mine)
***2 Cor 12:9
****Isaiah 35:3 - Amplified
*****Matt 22:14 - For many are called (invited and summoned), but few are chosen. (Amplified)
****** NKJV, Expanded Bible and Good News Translation respectively

No comments:

Post a Comment