Monday, April 1, 2013

Why not?

Yes "Why not?" - that was my question when I was debating with myself on this topic:

Why can't I say things as I see them i.e. just the way they are?

I know that a proverb goes:
"It's not everything eyes see that the mouth says."
I checked and have no idea who the author is so let's attribute it to our elders - yes they are/were very wise - only when it lines up with God's word though...

Back to the matter at hand:

I touched on this lightly in a previous post* - now let me get into it because it's almost getting to me... BTW, thank you for giving me space to speak about this.

I can't speak for you but I know that there have been many times since my husband became a pastor that I've wanted to say: "What's wrong with you?" to people around us. I mean the way "some people" -ok let's qualify that - "some Christians" behave you can't help but wonder what "edition"/version of the Bible they read - believing that they have and actually read a Bible. Do I sound the way I feel?

The more I think about it, the more I read my marching orders i.e. the Bible - at least one of the "parties" involved in this should be reading the Bible :).

Each time such thoughts come through and want to form into words, I let God's Word superceed. These 2 verses amongst others are what really "hold my tongue" and calm my heart - the 2 places that need most help:

Prov 31:26 -
When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.**

Col 4:6 - When you talk, you should always be kind [gracious] and pleasant [winsome; engaging; or wholesome; seasoned with salt] so you will be able to answer everyone in the way you should.***

Using these verses as communication guidelines, I've found that indeed you can smile and avoid biting your tongue when you see things you are not pleased with. If I must open my mouth (which I must), I open it in prayer - asking the Lord to help the person(s) starting with me. The other thing that dropped in my heart when I was thinking of writing this (or shall we say "venting") now, was that in order to reign (synonym: influence), we must have reins (& restraint). God help!

Going full circle to the proverb I quoted above, the 3rd thing is that occurred to me in all this is that in my experience, it is only "fools" that talk without thinking...
Prov 10: 14 - The wise don’t tell [store up; treasure] everything they know, but the foolish talk too much and are ruined [mouth of a fool means imminent ruin].***
As we know, God purposely called the "foolish" to confound the wise**** but He doesn't expect us to remain in that state of folly or act foolishly. Knowing this, I remind myself to act and speak wisely irrespective of how those around me act and speak. May the Lord help us glorify Him with our words and silence too.

BTW, posting this today as a reminder that we should not be one of those "celebrated" today...

References:
* http://mrs-pastor-and-pastor-mrs.blogspot.com/2013/01/trust.html#more
**NLT
***Expanded Bible
****1 Cor 1: 26-27 - For [simply] consider your own call, brethren; not many [of you were considered to be] wise according to human estimates and standards, not many influential and powerful, not many of high and noble birth. [No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame. (Amplified)

No comments:

Post a Comment