Monday, May 13, 2013

How much...

do you love your husband?

I like the balanced definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13. Let's focus on a few verses here:

Love is kind and patient,
never jealous, boastful,
    proud, or rude.
Love isn’t selfish
    or quick tempered.
It doesn’t keep a record
    of wrongs that others do.
Love rejoices in the truth,
    but not in evil.
Love is always supportive,
loyal, hopeful,
    and trusting.
Love never fails!*

Recently pondering on verses 6 & 7, I had to ask myself this question: "How much do I love my husband?" I know without a shadow of doubt that I love my husband...it just helps to reassess that love and I'll explain how and why.

 Now, I don't know if this happens to you - well, it happens to me often. I like to put my self in the "shoes" of congregation members from time to time. And then from time to time, I feel led to mention to my husband how things that are done or said in church (could) make "me" (as a congregation member) feel or respond.

I know that it may not always come out right - so I just couldn't help but wonder if speaking up at all is a true demonstration of love or better, a demonstration of true love. As Mrs. Pastor, we are encouraged (& rightly expected) to support our husbands - of course we should that's the reason why God gave Adam a wife in the first place so he'd have a helpmeet. Additonally, verse 7 reminds us that "love is always supportive." Sometimes when I point out areas of improvement (imo) I wonder if I discourage my husband -and I definitely don't want or intend to. 
Between my husband and I, we understand and appreciate the need to assess our actions and words from other people's perspectives. While we know we cannot please/satisfy everyone and have no intention of doing that, we know it is important to God (& to us) that we take care of those He has entrusted into our care. Sometimes I feel that I sound unsupportive...and it makes me feel bad. I guess it's difficult to be completely objective with someone you love and at the same time, since "love rejoices in the truth,"

I need to be truthful to my husband. I remember that "love is kind" and the Proverbs 31 Woman is one who opens her mouth with kindness**

In order to express true love in every sense of the word to our husbands, we must support them by speaking up wisely & kindly so they are fruitful in fulfilling the call of God upon their lives...
knowing that we are their Partner in that call.

As today is the 13th day of the 5th month...I pray that God gives us all the grace to demonstrate 1 Corinthians 13 love in every way, every day. So back to our question: "how much do you love your husband?" 

Well,enough to speak up as I support him.

References:
* 1 Cor 13: 4- 8a (Contemporary English Version)
**Prov 31:26 - She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness. (NKJV)
1 Pet 4:8 - Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment