Monday, October 21, 2013

2 more qualities you need to lead

Last week we started discussing the leadership attributes that we and our husbands need to be great leader-sheep... I know it sounds awkward but when you think about the fact that we're leaders of sheep and sheep ourselves, "Leader-sheep" is a perfect title for us.

Let's go beyond the first 2 qualities:
Like sheep
Example
and move on to:
Amiable - I've loved this word ever since the first time I heard it (and knew what it means) decades ago. I looked up the synonyms and they include: Cheerful, Approachable, Refreshing, Engaging (in case you didn't notice, I just spelt "CARE.") I believe that a great leader(sheep) is one who people meet and leave better than they came. I usually challenge people and ask:
"Are people glad or sad wherever you go or whenever you go?" 

One quote I do my best to live by in my personal, pastoral and professional life - which are all one and the same is:
"Wherever you go,
no matter the weather,
always bring your own sunshine."*

The quote is so apt because Jesus Christ, our Great Shepherd, whose example we must follow, told us that we are the light and salt of the world.** Hence the world must be brighter and tastier because we're here...

Determined - Being determined means that you're deliberate in the decisions you take. It also means that you are single-minded (focused) on what God has called you to do. Our main focus must be to remain focused. Paul said: "Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not yet reached that goal [taken hold of it], but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past [things that are behind] and straining toward [stretching/reaching forward to] what is ahead,"*** (Italics mine) 

This is not to say that you don't ask, take or listen to other people's counsel or contributions. It's just that you focus on pleasing God not patronizing man - that must be the "one thing" you do always - come what may. Jesus knew and fulfilled His purpose on earth, He refused to be distracted by Peter.**** Likewise, it is my prayer that we'll all know and fulfill ours too. AMEN!

References:
* Anthony J. D'Angelo
** Matthew 5: 13 - 16 - 13 “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. 14-16 “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. (Message)
*** Philippians 3:13 - Expanded Bible
**** Matt 16: 21-23 - 21 From that time forth Jesus began [clearly] to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders and the high priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised from death. 22 Then Peter took Him aside to speak to Him privately and began to reprove and charge Him sharply, saying, God forbid, Lord! This must never happen to You! 23 But Jesus turned away from Peter and said to him, Get behind Me, Satan! You are in My way [an offense and a hindrance and a snare to Me]; for you are minding what partakes not of the nature and quality of God, but of men. (Amplified)

No comments:

Post a Comment