Monday, October 28, 2013

Leading sheep

So far we have covered these 4 qualities of effective leaders:
Like sheep
Example
Amiable
Determined

An Afghan proverb goes:
If you think you're leading and no one is following you,
then you're only taking a walk.

Funny but true - so it's not enough to have the LEAD qualities above, we must go a little further (pun intended) and also be:
Encouraging - please note that encouraging does not mean spoon feeding* - although there may be circumstances where you'll need to spoon-feed people. Encouraging means that you have a faith-based optimistic outlook - more like an optimistic "up-look" to life. Though you may not agree with me, I believe that life is a bed of roses... remember that roses have thorns. Well, that explains why Isaiah - one sent to God's people - needed to be appropriately equipped with this quality:
"The Master, God, has given me a well-taught tongue,
So I know how to encourage tired people." (Isaiah 50: 4a - Message)

Encouraging others is not the easiest thing to do. I agree, and know from personal experience, that there are times when it's us that need the encouraging... at such times we learn from another exemplary shepherd - David
But David encouraged and strengthened himself in the Lord his God.**
Reliable - this may be the last quality in this series but definitely not the least. Being reliable means that you're dependable, trustworthy, have integrity...
It means that you only say what you mean and mean all you say - at all times.
It's really sad to see Christians, not to mention Pastors, who lie. If you want to be relied upon, then you must be reliable. I always wonder when someone is ministering and says "believe you me" or a similar phrase. In fact, I'm wary of people who punctuate their sentences with phrases that sound like they are trying to convince me to believe them. I like the Living Bible's rendition of Jesus' admonition around this: "Say just a simple ‘Yes, I will’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Your word is enough. To strengthen your promise with a vow shows that something is wrong." (Matt 5:37)

So as this Clergy Appreciation Month wraps up, let's all ask ourselves: "Why should anyone be led by me?" Remember God and man appreciate leaders who: Like sheep, who are an Example, Amiable, Determined, Encouraging, and Reliable




God is always saying: "Let's go."***
I pray that we continue to follow His leading as we lead His own...only then will we be great LEADERS. AMEN

References
* http://mrs-pastor-and-pastor-mrs.blogspot.ca/2013/09/drop-that-spoon.html
** 1 Sam 30:6a - Amplified
*** Matt 28: 19-20 - 19Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be). (Amplified - emphasis mine)
Heb 13:5b - for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]  (Amplified )

No comments:

Post a Comment