Monday, November 4, 2013

How strong are you?

A weeks days ago, I was chatting with a dear friend (and fellow Mrs Pastor) - and ended up sharing what my definition of a strong woman is.

Before sharing my definition with more of us, I was curious about other people's definitions. This quote is a great starting point because I both agree and disagree with it...please "read" me out...

A strong woman is a woman determined to do something 
others are determined not be done. - Marge Piercy
 
I know, because I'm one, that most women were raised to be "strong" and able-to-do-it-all women. And then when we became Mrs Pastor - either from marrying a pastor or from the man you married becoming a pastor - we were "led" or forced to feel that with more Divine power we must be do-it-all women.

In my opinion, that cannot be further from the truth. First and foremost, a strong woman is one who is very dedicated to God and determined not to be swayed from His way and will for her. She knows that although the Bible says: "I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency],"* she cannot do everything that she has to do by herself and hence knows when and how to ask for help.

A strong woman knows in her heart that meekness is not a sign of weakness - and knows that it's better to be humble than to be humiliated in trying to do everything by herself and failing woefully at everything - or most things.

A strong woman is extremely confident - not in herself but in God with Whom nothing is impossible. Therefore, she's confident that God has placed people around her that she can delegate tasks to in order to get the help she needs to do what others are determined not to be done. So are you a strong woman?

Reference:
* Phil 4:13 - Amplified

No comments:

Post a Comment