Monday, October 5, 2015

The other Pastor's wife

My dear Mrs Pastor, have you ever been "the other Pastor's wife"? Strange question right?
That's exactly how strange I felt as "the other Pastor's wife" in a chat a few months ago.

I find it interesting and almost entrapping when you are with others who are talking about their Pastor's wife - whether in positive or not so positive light. The thing that usually goes through my mind in those settings is, I wonder what those who have and take the time to talk about me say to others. I also wonder what any other Pastor's wife in the vicinity says too.

Actually those thoughts go through my mind when I'm with other Pastor's wives too. It's always interesting to be "the other Pastor's wife." The rule to live by is my adaptation of the Golden rule: "Speak about others, as you would want others to speak about you." When I saw this picture, I couldn't help but wonder what people said about having a Reserved parking spot for the Pastor's wife - and what other pastor's wives may have said if they overheard such conversations.

One thing is certain, people will always talk...at least to exercise their mouth muscles :) However, Proverbs 10:19 - a verse I've held on to for decades, says:
Sin is unavoidable when there is much talk, but whoever seals his lips is wise. (GWT)

I'm sure you also know that:
"We have two ears and one mouth
so we can listen twice as much as we speak"*



The point here is whether you are the "other Pastor's wife" or simply another person in a (any)Conversation Circle - except if you're leading the session, speak ½ as much as you listen...
Remember, you cannot be quoted for something you did not say.
 


Source:
* Epictetus AD 55 - c.135

No comments:

Post a Comment