Monday, January 9, 2017

Do you Pastor or

Pester????
Hmm...was all I could say to myself when the topic came to mind. I've actually literally "sat" on this topic for months. Now I don't have a choice but to share this - as we start a new year. In fact, I better appreciate how Jeremiah felt when he wrote:
...Then my heart becomes a burning fire Shut up in my bones. And I am weary of enduring and holding it in; I cannot endure it [nor contain it any longer].
(Jeremiah 20:9 - AMP, emphasis mine)   


I tread on this topic very carefully because I can easily be misunderstood. As usual, I need the Holy Spirit to break this down for each of us - and I know He will. AMEN


I believe we all know what both words mean so let's look at a few of their synonyms:


Pastor: Preacher, Churchperson, Shepherd
Pester: Annoy, Bother, Hassle, Nag


One thing I've observed and believe is that there is a thin line between "Pastoring" and "Pestering." In fact, sometimes Pastoring to one person could come across as Pestering to another. And that's another reason why we really need the Holy Spirit to help us as we "serve" this Pastoring gift to those around us.  


When you read various Bible verses about Shepherds, it's obvious that Pastoring is a lot of work that centers around care for and service to God's people. Talk about Servant-Leadership...


In Jeremiah 3:15, God said


I will give you shepherds after my own heart. They will be shepherds who feed you with knowledge and insight. (GWT) 


Then I will give you new rulers [shepherds] who will be faithful to me [according to my heart], who will lead [shepherd] you with knowledge and understanding [insight]. (EXB)


The other thing that jumps out to me is that God expects us as Pastors/Shepherds to follow His example to seek out and lead His sheep to green pastures.


Psalm 23: 2a - He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures... (AMPC)


He doesn't expect us to "manufacture" or manipulate the pastures i.e. His Word, in order to attract/have more people in our churches. He expects us to come to Him for fresh and green pasture.


Jeremiah 10:21 - For the shepherds [of the people] have become like brutes, irrational and stupid, and have not sought the Lord or inquired of Him or required Him [by necessity and by right of His word]. Therefore they have not dealt prudently and have not prospered, and all their flocks are scattered. (AMPC)


In Psalm 23:2b, He also shows us how the Shepherd leads the sheep to places of rest - not to places of stress: "He leads me beside the still and restful waters." (AMPC)


In writing this, I was curious what others thought. I researched and found then read an article titled "What Good Shepherds don't do"* and these 2 sentences in the last paragraph pulled the point of this piece together nicely for me:


"The instinct to protect the sheep under our care is a good one; heaven knows they need it. But when feeding and tending becomes controlling or determining life direction, we've overstepped our role."


1 Peter 5:2-3 clearly distinguishes between Pastoring and Pestering. Just incase it's not clear, I've used 2 different font colours to highlight Pastoring vs. Pestering. The colours symbolize what we should start/continue doing and what we should Stop respectively:
Tend (nurture, guard, guide, and fold) the flock of God that is [your responsibility], not by coercion or constraint, but willingly; not dishonorably motivated by the advantages and profits [belonging to the office], but eagerly and cheerfully; Not domineering [as arrogant, dictatorial, and overbearing persons] over those in your charge, but being examples (patterns and models of Christian living) to the flock (the congregation). (AMPC)


I pray that we will serve our Gift & not manipulate or pester the sheep God has put in our care. Wishing us all a Progressive & Prosperous Year of Pastoring.


Source:  
* http://www.christianitytoday.com/pastors/2012/fall/what-good-shepherds.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment