Monday, April 9, 2018

"Thank you...

...for all you don't do."

Yes, as un-politically correct as that may seem to say that, if you take the time to think about it, it's a very valid reason to appreciate each Pastor's Wife.

Before I go on, I remember that 6 years ago, I self-declared a "Mrs Pastor Day"* and I'm doing the same thing again this year - on a Monday that's in-between this year's Mothering Sunday (March 11th) and Mother's Day (May 13th).

One thing I make a very conscious effort of doing is expressing appreciation to people - especially to each Pastor's wife I have the privilege of knowing and interacting with. The reason is simple - it's good to be grateful and appreciate those who are sometimes overlooked - or is it "underlooked"?

Last year, as I was wrapping up an email to some Mrs Pastors, I added the phrase "Thank you for all you do." As I did that, a thought flashed in my mind - "Why not 'Thank you for all you don't do'?" Hmmm I gave it a bit more thought and agreed that it was just as valid a reason for appreciation but possibly not to be added to an email so it's not misconstrued...hence it ended up here as a topic. So let's dig in...

As we all know, especially as Mrs Pastors, there is an ever-growing list of all the things everyone else expects us to do...and sometimes we get appreciated for doing them - and sometimes not but that's not the point of this post. Speaking from personal experience, there are so many things that I actually thank myself for not doing - and yes it's one form of positive affirmation and appreciation. I thank God and myself that I have not walked away from the Ministry or even "gone on strike" despite how trying and tiring it can be (and never will so help me God). Funny as it may sound, that's something the devil would rejoice over if any Pastor, Mrs Pastor or any Christian does - so we must appreciate all who don't do that.

Another thing that we should thank Mrs Pastor for is that she doesn't stop praying for her husband. Can you imagine what would happen if a Pastor's closest ally, confidant and God-chosen helpmeet decides to stop praying for and supporting him? Definitely not a good thing.

If you are a Pastor's wife, please take the time to appreciate yourself everyday not only today.  If you are not a Pastor's wife, please take the time to appreciate your Pastor's wife everyday.

Thank you for doing that...




Reference:


No comments:

Post a Comment