Monday, April 23, 2018

"I do"

On this day, almost 2 decades ago, I said my first formal "I do" to my One and Only. 2 really short words that have very long-term, actually eternal, implications. As I look back with a heart filled with gratitude to God Who alone has kept us together, indeed, it has been quite the journey with many more "I dos" and a couple "I don'ts" as appropriate.


One thing that I believe is worthwhile for every couple to do - including Ministry couples - is to review how things have been (and changed) before and after the exchange of "I dos." It also helps to review how your lives as individuals and together have progressed (and maybe "paused") after the "I do."

It has been said, and rightly so, that:
If you do not know where you are headed,
how will you know when you get there?

If you do not consciously determine who and what you say "I do" to, you may end up living someone else's life or just be a shadow of who (and all) God wants you to be. The risk of this happening to Ministry couples is really high because sometimes (especially as Mrs Pastor) we feel that always saying "I do" to our husbands is the be all and end all? The question I ask myself - and now I'm asking you - is: Have you said '"I do" to God?'

Before I am misread and misunderstood, we must be submissive to our OWN husbands under God - which is why saying "I do" and sometimes "I don't" is necessary. It is even scriptural (note the order of the verses):
17Whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus [and in dependence on Him], giving thanks to God the Father through Him. 18 Wives, be subject to your husbands [out of respect for their position as protector, and their accountability to God], as is proper and fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives [with an affectionate, sympathetic, selfless love that always seeks the best for them] and do not be embittered or resentful toward them [because of the responsibilities of marriage]. (Colossians 3: 17-19, AMP, italics mine)

When you do something - anything - you have already "said" "I do" to it. Whatever you do, check and ensure that you are truly saying "I do" to God. Now don't go second-guessing your husband and challenging him - you'll be in disobedience and it's a disservice to yourself and God. All I'm saying is at the end of time, may we all hear "Well done, good and faithful servant" because Jesus is clear:
"Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter." (Matthew 7:21 - NLT)

Congratulations on saying "I do" to your OWN husbands. May God help us constantly say I" do" to Him and our husbands under Him so that we achieve the purpose why He created us.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment