Friday, June 10, 2011

Always in Active Service

Have you ever heard the term "AWOL"?
Well, it's a military term that stands for Away WithOut Leave.

It was interesting how this term dropped in my spirit...I'd be glad to tell you how.

Early one morning (last year) when thinking about how to introduce or, shall I say, "launch" this blog I considered referring to the fact that I've been a Pastor's wife for a while and there was a period of, for want of a better word, "down-time".  Then the Holy Spirit quickly reminded me that "once a Mrs. Pastor, always a Mrs. Pastor" and it has nothing to do with whether or not he is a Senior, Associate, supporting or even an unrecognised Pastor. Thinking about it, that's exactly how it is for every Christian - yes, that's what God expects from each and every Christian...once a Christian always a Christian. 

In 2 Timothy 4:2, Paul says:
"Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching." (NLT)
So we are expected to always be in active service...and that can be challenging at times. I live that "active service" life daily so I can imagine some of the challenges. Every time I feel like that I should be able to "do whatever I want" or "act however I choose", realise that first as a Christian and then as Mrs. Pastor, I have clear boundaries within which I must operate..."So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (1 Cor. 10:31 - NLT)

The best part of ths life of active service is that we've got the power to do it...
Phil 4:13 - For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. (NLT)
2 Cor. 12:9 - Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. (NLT)
John 15: 4 - 8 - Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. (NLT) This last set of verses is the main reason why we cannot afford to be AWOL at any time in our lives...for the simple reason that being away from our source =
death & destruction

...and that is too high a price to pay.
P.S. I'm publishing this on the anniversary of when I became "Mrs." -
"Mrs. Pastor" followed....
and I'm still in active service...with God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment