Monday, February 27, 2012

It can wait...can it?

Being Mrs. Pastor can be challenging...ok that's not really true.

The right way to put it is: Being Mrs. Pastor is very challenging. Yes it is - ask me about it! The great part of that challenge is that God's grace is always available. For example, sometimes I have so much to do & at the end of the day I realize I've done more things that were not on my "to do" list than things on my "to do" list. I used to get upset about it but I've gradually taught myself to strike a balance - "flow" when I have to & be firm with things I have to do.

"To do" lists are endless - for as long as we're alive. Now, I've decided that all I need to do is distinguish between which things on my "To do" list are "have to do today" or "good to do someday." The point is not to put off things till an unknown "someday" because: "Someday is not a day of the week." (Anon) The other thing about the "good to do someday" list is to realise the truth in the Spanish proverb:
Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.

So I'm working on remaining set in my ways to be flexible and not overstretching myself. I cannot really do everything today - like I say to workaholics, "what will you do tomorrow if you complete all your "future" work today" and "life goes on if you die." We must remember that "Ministry" is both a noun and an action word...and some things can't wait while some can. In saying things can wait, I always ask myself "can it?" and if the answer is "yes" I remind myself of "the two rules of procastination:
1) Do it today. 2) Tomorrow will be today tomorrow." (Author Unknown)

In essence, putting things off till tomorrow is not a wise form of escaping from things you would rather not do - tomorrow always catches up with us...
and yes, I do agree, some things can wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment