Monday, February 20, 2012

One heart...

...though many hats.

Does that phrase sound familiar? Well, it does to me because it's the life I live...so I made up the phrase to encapsualte that reality :)

I decided to share this just after the world celebrates love and, unfortunately, lust in some instances. The greatest commandments Jesus gave us was to "go into all the world...and love God and also man, as we love ourselves" (my paraphrase).

As women, and especially as Mrs. Pastor, we always wear very many hats and we have to have those "hats" handy wherever we go.

You could visit someone as "Mrs. Pastor" and realize that the person just needs a friend who will reach out and touch them at their level, not someone who will "preach at" them. At other times, you visit as a colleague or sister and realise it's "pulpit" time or that it's time to share your cooking and cleaning skills. It's so unpredictable.

Balancing these hats can be tricky because you have to always "look your best" even as you wear multiple hats at the same time. I've found that the best way you look your best is in wearing each hat "with a heart full of love." Needless to say that is not the easiest thing to do...but we cannot stop trying...we just can't.

Sometimes, I feel the pressure of unrealistic expectations from people who are older than me...then I just have to put on "Mummy hat" and reach out to them. Then at other times I almost feel that people just want to "use" me so I put on my "waitress hat" and serve them to God's glory. It's not easy and sometimes not pleasant - so I just set my mind to please God. I simply remind myself that the bottom line is: whatever I do, I must do as unto the Lord and to His glory - irrespective of which hat I'm wearing. Let His love flow - from our hearts & hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment