Monday, September 9, 2013

FYI?

I'm sure we know what "FYI" stands for. Just to be clear since I have my personal collection of abbreviations and acronyms, it stands for: "For Your Information."

When you think about the phrase, it clearly doesn't suggest any action on your part in response to the info. The info is just there - so you know it's there - period. It's up to you to act or not.

This phrase struck me in a different way a few months ago when our pastor was sharing the series "The Need for the Word." I then started asking: "Are the commands in the Bible for our information or for our transformation?"

Now that's not a difficult question to ask - it's just more difficult to answer especially when you look at the way some Christians behave. More than once, I've asked my Mrs Pastor friends & acquaintances if all the Christians we come in contact with are reading the same Bible as we are - or even reading the Bible.

The purpose of the Bible is clearly stated in 2 Tim 3:16 - Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.*

Prior to that verse, 2 Timothy 2:15** instructs us to read and rightly analyze (and may I add, live by), the Word of God. I know that Christians also quote that verse (& even teach on it) but sometimes I can't help but wonder if some Christians' Bibles are like the one in this picture.

Personally, I believe (& know) that the Bible is for our transformation - not for information. Indeed it's the world's bestselling book however, it's God's desire that we not just read it but live by it. Knowing this, I then wonder, how can I help others without seeming judgmental? I intend to continue reading my Bible, living by it and also being clear when I share the Word so there is no doubt as to the action God expects from us the hearers.*** God will help us.

References:
* Amplified (emphasis, mine)
** 2 Tim 2:15 says: Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth. (Amplified)
*** James 1:22-25 - But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]. For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror; For he thoughtfully observes himself, and then goes off and promptly forgets what he was like. But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience). (Amplified)

No comments:

Post a Comment