Monday, September 30, 2013

Talent vs. Character...

On the 10th of June, I was blessed to listen to Joyce Meyer and she was talking about how those of us in ministry are quick to appoint people with some talent into places of leadership without realizing that:
"Though talent may take them places, it’s character that keeps them there..."

I suspect it may be the same for you, when I see all my husband has on his plate - or shall I say, when I see all we have on our plates, the more I pray for (more) help. I agree that leadership in ministry requires more than talent and for me, reputation is of little or no relevance because:
 
"Reputation is what men and women think of us;
character is what God and angels know of us."*
 
It's only what God thinks of a man that matters not what we see, think or feel. Joyce Meyer was right - sometimes impressed by the outward expressions - even of people who are new to church or just "oppressed" by the pressures of ministry that we don't take time to "check out" the people that come to church.

In Acts 6, when there was a need for more help, the apostles were clear on what mattered:
"Therefore select out from among yourselves, brethren, seven men of good and attested character and repute, full of the [Holy] Spirit and wisdom, whom we may assign to look after this business and duty." (Acts 6:3 - Amplified, emphasis mine)
For them, the invisible (tested) character came before the visible reputation.

Now I'm much more specific when I pray - I ask for the right help and cannot stop coveting the gift of the discernment of spirits because we're sometimes in such "urgent" need of help that there is no time to "test" people's character. Even if we have the time to, what are the right tests? We've even found that sometimes when you want to "test" someone, other members second-guess your judgment and think you are being _______________ - I'm not even sure what the right word is so I'll let you fill it out for yourself.

May the Lord help us not to be tripped (& tricked) by talent to hand over precious souls to people who lack character and commitment to God. AMEN!

Reference:
*Thomas Paine

No comments:

Post a Comment