Monday, September 15, 2014

Follow me...

A few months ago, I was sharing a concern with my husband. I told him that there seems to be lack of depth among Christians and fewer people are disciples. He partially agreed with me and then said that when Jesus said "Follow me"* it was an invitation, not an instruction.


Indeed discipleship is by choice, not by force. So as Pastor and Mrs. Pastor, it is imperative that before checking if others are disciples and or disciplined, we need to first be disciples and disciplined.
We should be able to say to any and everyone, whether or not they are in our church, "Follow my example, just as I follow the example of Christ."**

When I saw this Caution sign, I couldn't but agree.
On the flip side, I'd be concerned if a Pastor and/or Mrs. Pastor says this to me. However, we need to be alert to the fact that there are times when we're not who we should be in Christ. Sometimes the pressures, and for some the pleasures, of life could make one drift even if momentarily -hopefully not permanently.

God knows that we are frail and expects that if we fail, falter or fall, we'd come straight to Him***, rather than run away from Him or try to fake that "all is well." When we return to the Lord in repentance, it's a good example for others to follow. We see that difference between Peter and Judas. Peter denied Jesus thrice while Judas betrayed Jesus once. Peter made the right decision - he repented and was restored but Judas made the wrong decision and short-circuited what could have become an outstanding ministry based on living in forgiveness not condemnation.

Back to our topic - I need to zoom in on Mrs Pastors here: people are watching us - whether or not we know or care - so we must live an inspiring "follow-me" life at all times. We need to also realize and remember that the "authenticity" of our husband's "follow-me" life and invitation is impacted by the way we live our lives. I've sadly heard people say things like, "I know my pastor is not like that - it's his wife..." In some cases, it may be an unfair accusation but we must take care not to provide any "fuel for that fire." In living a "follow-me life," focus on following Jesus and don't get distracted by who is following (or possibly booing) you. God bless

References:
* Matt 4:19 - "And He said to them, Come after Me [as disciples—letting Me be your Guide], follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men!" (Amplified)
John 10:27 - The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me. (Amplified)
** 1 Cor 11: 1- ERV
*** 1 John 1: 8-9 - 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are fooling ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 But if we confess our sins, God will forgive us. We can trust God to do this. He always does what is right. He will make us clean from all the wrong things we have done. (ERV)

No comments:

Post a Comment