Monday, February 2, 2015

"Live with"


When I was looking for leadership quotes for a piece I was writing on my Professional* blog, I came across this one. I read it more than once and then decided, this is one to be shared "Pastorally."

“You have to live with the people to know their needs, 
and you have to live with God to know how to solve them.” ~ John Maxwell

Take some time to thing about it.

This is definitely one good reason to encourage church members to also visit each other.
Note that I used the word "also" because I'm assuming that you and your husband visit people - not only members of your church. To be clear, I'm not recommending that you set up a schedule and go from house to house and become a tale bearer. Nor am I recommending that you move in with your church members. Rather, be purposeful about your visits.

Relationships may be started in church - easy to - but need to be sustained outside of church. And the secret to sustaining them is by visiting. For instance, there are things I know about others (and in some cases pray about on their behalf) that I only got to know because we (I) visited and spent some quality time with them.  As you "live with" people, don't do it for what you can get from them but more for what you can "give" to them - in the place of prayer.
(While we're talking about you "giving," always take a gift when going to visit others.)

If we all decide to take the time to "live with" (i.e. visit) one another and pray for one another, I'm sure that more people will be drawn into the Kingdom because of God's love, work and wonders among us.

In John 13:34-35, Jesus said
34-35 “Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.” (MSG)
One way of demonstrating that love is by "living with" people, then with God, on their behalf.

Footnote:
* http://empowered-women-excel.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment