Monday, April 13, 2015

Understand your PoV

I know PoV generally stands for "Point of View" for a lot of people. However, in this instance it stands for "Power of Vulnerability."

Now this is a topic that has been on my heart for some years and remained just a title in this blog until now. I guess I'm finally ready - i.e. willing and "able" to share my PoV1 on the PoV.2
I recognize that I may be sharing a PoV1 that may not be generally held however it's my PoV1.


I'm not sure why but I see that a lot of Christians - especially leaders - practically cringe at the thought of being vulnerable. I believe this is at the crux of some more significant failures.

I've always said that if you keep "sweeping things under the carpet," before you know it, there will be so much under that carpet that you'll trip over it one day - what a mighty fall that will be. It's only when we admit our frailty, "falterings" and failings that we can truly and fully draw on God's grace and strength that are always available and more than sufficient for us.*

As usual, I wondered if anyone had a similar PoV1 on the PoV2 as me and found someone I'd never heard of - Brené Brown. So here are some of the things she's said about vulnerability:

“What makes you vulnerable, makes you beautiful.”**~ Brené Brown

“Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.”***

“Staying vulnerable is a risk we have to take if we want to experience connection.” **** 

“Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It's about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.”****  

These quotes resonate with me because I believe that the "loneliness" or "aloneness" I hear & know some Mrs Pastors experience is because they don't believe in or use this unique power - the Power of Vulnerability.

Now I'm not saying that we need to make and wear "I am weak" T-shirts or throw Pity-parties. All I'm saying is be humble enough to remember and show your humanity. For instance, when people realize that we also have challenges, e.g. knowing the Word and sometimes having a hard time applying it when faced with a situation, it's easier for them to connect with us.

The shortest verse in the Bible, made an impact on those around that they voiced it out:
John 11:35 - 36 - 35 Jesus wept. 36 “See how much he loved him!” the people said. (GWT)

We must be Authentic at all times and it takes courage to use the PoV2. The best part of being vulnerable or weak is that God, our Ever-Present Help***** takes over and glorifies Himself. Imagine the  impact that will make on people who need a authentic example of trusting God...

References:
PoV1 - Point of View
PoV2 - Power of Vulnerability
* 2 Cor 12: 7-10 - 7-10 Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn’t get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan’s angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn’t think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me, My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become. (Message)
** http://christthetruth.net/2014/02/10/brene-brown-journey-to-christian-faith/
*** Brené Brown, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
**** Brené Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are
***** Ps 46: 1- 3 - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment