Monday, August 3, 2015

Version Control

These 2 words popped in my head as I read a verse of the Bible that I've read many times before. It was obviously my first time of reading that chapter in that version of the Bible.

Before I tell you which verse, let me tell you a bit more about myself. I'm one person who strongly believes that "Variety is the spice of life." Decades ago when I heard a preacher say that one way of making sure that the Bible stays "interesting" to and for you, is to read the Bible through in different versions each year, that was something I took to heart. Have you ever been in that "I know what it says" mode when reading or listening to a Bible passage or even when listening to a message? How many times has "familiarity" with the person, their style or their stories made you go into the "I know what he will say" zone? Now that question was for Mrs Pastors - I know a wide variety of people read this blog :). That "Familiarity trap" is a dangerous one and another day's story so let me reel myself in back to this topic.

So as I was saying a few sentences ago, I'd really taken to reading and studying the Bible using different versions - needless to say, technology had been a great enabler. It was one of those times when was offline and reading my Bible, using one of the versions available when offline, that I read this verse - 2 Kings 2:9:
After they had reached the other side, Elijah said, “Elisha, the Lord will soon take me away. What can I do for you before that happens?” Elisha answered, “Please give me twice as much of your power as you give the other prophets, so I can be the one who takes your place as their leader.”*
"Huh? Where did the last half of Elisha's "response" according to this version come from?" - was all I thought and asked myself. After all, in all the years I have read and even heard messages on this verse, I'd never heard this "extension" of Elisha's response.  So I quickly looked at another version available offline and it said:
After they crossed the river, Elijah said to Elisha, “What do you want me to do for you before God takes me away from you?” Elisha said, “I ask you for a double share of your spirit on me.”**
"Phew! That’s more like it" - I thought to myself and almost immediately alarm bells started ringing in my head and heart. The first thing that crossed my mind was: "Now that’s not to say that that wasn't what Elisha was thinking at the time, but who are we to add or remove from the Bible?" Yes - disaster awaits anyone who does that (see Prov 30:6 & Rev 22:19***) Then I decided to write this to caution and ask us to apply caution (pun intended) when we read and share from different versions of the Bible.

So although "variety is the spice of life," we must never add or take away from the Word of God. As Pastors, Mrs Pastors, Ministers, Workers etc., we must always rightly divide the Word.*** One way to do that, exercise Version Control, not portion control, so people get the right Word to enhance and ensure they live right before God. BTW, I'm not picking on any particular version of the Bible - this was just the example at hand. I know other versions that have "missed the mark" in one verse or the other, so remember to exercise Version Control.

P.S. I wrote this piece a few weeks ago and scheduled it to be published today. How was I to know I'd hear about strange happenings where people are re-writing the Bible to fit their off lifestyles this past weekend? Indeed the end is near...readers beware so you are not misled.


References:
* CEVDCUS06
** ERV
*** Prov 30:5-6 -  5 All God’s words are tried and true; a shield for those who take refuge in him.
6 Don’t add to his words, or he will correct you and show you to be a liar. (CEB)
Rev 22:18-19 - 18-19 I give fair warning to all who hear the words of the prophecy of this book: If you add to the words of this prophecy, God will add to your life the disasters written in this book; if you subtract from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will subtract your part from the Tree of Life and the Holy City that are written in this book. (MSG)
**** 2 Timothy 2:15
- Do your best to win God's approval as a worker who doesn't need to be ashamed and who teaches only the true message. (CEVDCUS06)
- Do your best to be the kind of person God will accept, and give yourself to him. Be a worker who has no reason to be ashamed of his work, one who applies the true teaching in the right way. (ERV)

No comments:

Post a Comment