Monday, August 24, 2015

Watch that "broken tooth"...

Proverbs 25:19 says:

"Putting confidence in an unreliable person in times of trouble 
is like
chewing with a broken tooth or walking on a lame foot." (NLT)

When I read this verse in June it got me thinking as I mediated on it. I started asking myself what our attitude to "unreliable" people should be. Too many times because of the "pressures" of Ministry - with more to do than hands (or even hearts) available, we easily disregard (i.e. discard), those we feel are unreliable.
 
I then looked into the physical treatment of a broken tooth. What would you do if you discover you have a broken tooth? I doubt that your answer would be that you'd disregard or worse still, discard it. Well I wouldn't and never have. I found this piece of advice which I'll extend into the spiritual:
 
"If your tooth is broken, chipped, or fractured, see your dentist as soon as possible.
Otherwise, your tooth could be damaged further or become infected,
possibly causing you to end up losing the tooth."*
 
You see the first thing to do is to see a dentist asap. So we need to pay attention to and address the broken tooth - ignoring it will lead to further damage. This reminds me of the piece I wrote about how churches are similar to hospitals - see my piece titled "Church-o-spital"**
 
If we see someone you'd describe as a "broken tooth," do what Jesus did, pray for the person and encourage them. In fact in my mind, it's a mentoring opportunity because you never know what makes a person a "broken tooth" if you don't' take the time to get to know them.
 
We must all move beyond labelling people to enabling people to be all God has destined for them to be. Imagine if Jesus disregarded and discarded Peter after he was labelled a "Denier of Jesus."*** The rendition by Dr Luke gives us the full account of the conversation:
Luke 22:31-34 - 31 Then the Lord said, “Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to have you apostles for himself. He wants to separate you from me as a farmer separates wheat from husks. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail. So when you recover, strengthen the other disciples.” 33 But Peter said to him, “Lord, I’m ready to go to prison with you and to die with you.” 34 Jesus replied, “Peter, I can guarantee that the rooster won’t crow tonight until you say three times that you don’t know me.”****

Jesus recognized that one of His disciples was a "Denier" but wanted him to remain a disciple after the "broken tooth" episode. All the souls won**** and still being blessed by Peter's ministry, would have been forgone if he had been disregarded and discarded by Jesus.
 
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (pun unintended), we must pray and help any "broken tooth" we notice - so they attain the future God has for them.
 
I'll close with words from 2 people we know were enabled beyond their "broken tooth" labels - Peter and Paul respectively:
 
Most important of all, love each other deeply,
because love makes you willing to forgive many sins.******
So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.*******
 

References:
*** Matt 26: 31-35; Luke 22: 31-34; John 13:36-38
**** GWT (emphasis mine)
***** Acts 2:41 - Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all. (NLT)
****** 1 Pet 4:8 - ERV
******* 1 Thess 5:11 - NLT
1 Thess 5:11 - So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you’ll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you’re already doing this; just keep on doing it. (Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment