Monday, April 11, 2016

"Forget the mold"


The Holy Spirit laid this topic and instruction in my heart as 1 Samuel 9: 1-2 was being read as part of one Sermon last month:

There was a man of [the tribe of] Benjamin whose name was Kish the son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Becorath, the son of Aphiah, a Benjamite, a mighty man of influence and wealth. Kish had a son named Saul, a choice and handsome man; among the sons of Israel there was not a man more handsome than he. From his shoulders and up he was [a head] taller than any of the people. (AMP)

Then He said "See 1 Samuel 16: 6-12" - and I did...
When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab, and he thought, “Surely, here stands before me the Lord’s appointed [anointed].” But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t look at how handsome Eliab is [his appearance] or how tall he is [his height], because I have ·not chosen [rejected] him. God does not see the same way [as] people see. People look at the outside of a person [appearances; the outward appearance], but the Lord looks at [on] the heart.” Then Jesse called Abinadab and told him to pass by [walk in front of] Samuel. But Samuel said, “The Lord has not chosen this man either.” Then Jesse had Shammah pass by. But Samuel said, “No, the Lord has not chosen this one.” 10 Jesse had seven of his sons pass by [presented to] Samuel. But Samuel said to him, “The Lord has not chosen any of these.” 11 Then he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” Jesse answered, “I still have the youngest son. He is out taking care of the sheep.” Samuel said, “Send for him. We will not sit down to eat until he arrives.” 12 So Jesse sent and had his youngest son brought in. He was a fine boy, tanned [dark; ruddy], [with beautiful eyes] and handsome. The Lord said to Samuel, “Go [Rise], appoint [anoint] him, because he is the one.” (EXB)

Then I heard Him clearly say "You see I don't use molds." It was obvious that Samuel came to Jesse's home with the "King's Specs" in mind. After all, Saul was tall and handsome (maybe even "dark" too J) as if height or other features had anything to do with leadership...


Too many times, I've heard others say and sometimes though myself "she isn't behaving like a Pastor's wife." Over and over again, I remind myself that it's outright disrespectful to say or think that about any Mrs Pastor. If we all realize and accept that every man - Pastor - is unique then we must equally accept and allow every Mrs. Pastor to be unique. I mean what appeals to my husband, may not appeal to other pastors and that is fine by me. God expects: 



Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. (Ephesians 5:22 - NIV)

In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands [subordinate, not as inferior, but out of respect for the responsibilities entrusted to husbands and their accountability to God, and so partnering with them] so that even if some do not obey the word [of God], they may be won over [to Christ] without discussion by the godly lives of their wives, when they see your modest and respectful behavior [together with your devotion and appreciation—love your husband, encourage him, and enjoy him as a blessing from God].  (1 Peter 3:1-2 - AMP)


As I wrote this piece, the Holy Spirit reminded me that if God wanted us to fit into molds, He would not have give each of us different finger-prints. Even identical twins don't have the same finger-prints. Having said that we are unique and must be free to be ourselves, we have a basic Boundary we must operate freely within - the Word of God. So the next time you hear others or yourself saying that "She is/You are not behaving like a Pastor's wife" - follow up that comment with the question - "Is she/Am I within the boundary of God's Word?"

I like and fully agree with these quotes:

“Be yourself - not your idea of what you think somebody else's idea of yourself should be.”
~ Henry David Thoreau 

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.
~Raymond Hull

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So forget the mold & focus on who you are - fearfully & wonderfully made to show God's glory.

You are #YOUnique for a purpose - fulfill that purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Brings to mind a tweet I sent recently "- I may not be where and who you expect of me, one thing I refuse to have is the comparison complex. I intentionally walk by faith #Grace @amareno4him"

    ReplyDelete