Monday, October 31, 2016

Why halt ye...



...between 2 opinions?
 
Let's start by looking at the source this phrase-question:
 
1 Kings 18:21
 
Elijah came near to all the people and said,
How long will you halt and limp between two opinions?
If the Lord is God, follow Him! But if Baal, then follow him.
And the people did not answer him a word. (AMPC)
 
Elijah challenged the people: “How long are you going to sit on the fence?
If God is the real God, follow him; if it’s Baal, follow him.
Make up your minds!” Nobody said a word; nobody made a move. (MSG)
 
I've been asking God what to write on and publish today - look at the date - and one morning, just before 5am He said "Face it and deal with it!" So I'm obeying.
 
For most of my life to date - because I have many more years ahead - I'd only seen the word "Halloween" in calendars. Ever since I was exposed to it face-to-face - pun intended, I was disgusted. I couldn't help but wonder who came up with such an idea - what is fun about scaring others? As if that wasn't enough, I then found out that some Christians participate in it. Huh? On what basis I wondered... and I couldn't but wonder if any Pastors or Mrs Pastors participate too hence this post - which I can assure you is not a "Fence-post" - pun intended.
 
I will not go into sharing the origins of the day because many others have done that and there are links* below for your reading pleasure. Warning: One of the articles is "on the fence." 
 
Today, I'll focus on how God has broken it down for me:
 
In 2 Timothy 1:7 we are told that God has not given us the spirit of fear so why should any Christian participate in "distributing" fear? If we can only give what we have, where would people get fear from to give others? Have you seen some of the scary things people wear & do to their homes? Job 22:28 came to mind as I typed this; be careful what you declare &/or do.
John 17: 15-16 says: 15 I do not ask that You will take them out of the world, but that You will keep and protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world (worldly, belonging to the world), [just] as I am not of the world. (AMPC)
Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith, does not want us out of the world but we must not be "of" the world. He has stated why in Matthew 5:14-16** - we must be a light. Light is easily distinguishable from darkness so we must not participate in works of darkness as Ephesians 5:11 says:
 
Do not participate in the worthless and unproductive deeds of darkness,
but instead expose them [by exemplifying personal integrity,
moral courage, and godly character]; (AMP)
 
It definitely takes courage - and a lot of it - not to cower to the pressures of people around you - at work, in your children's schools, possibly in your extended family and sadly in your church.
 
So here are 3 questions I suggest you ask yourself as you take a stand and stand your ground:
  1. Will participating glorify God like Colossians 3:17*** says?
  2. If I or my children don't eat candy/sweets/chocolates that period will we die?
  3. Will my Light as Christian be tainted or brightened if I participate in the event? Like the first question, this is a question you should ask about every thing.
Before you get off the fence and stand on one side or the other, remember that:
 
God is the God of the living, not the dead. (Mark 12:27a - EXB)
 
Hallow and glorify God today...and always.


References:
* For further reading:
http://www1.cbn.com/questions/should-christians-celebrate-halloween
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/52738-why-christians-absolutely-should-not-celebrate-halloween
http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/i/biblehalloween.htm

** 14 “You are the light of [Christ to] the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good deeds and moral excellence, and [recognize and honor and] glorify your Father who is in heaven. (AMP)

*** Whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus [and in dependence on Him], giving thanks to God the Father through Him. (AMP)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment